Medical Surgical Nursing is the largest content area on the NCLEX. Many students feel overwhelmed and anxious with the amount of content they need to review. I hear over and over "it feels like a mountain to climb" and that it can be challenging to figure out where to start studying.
To help you relieve some of the stress we organized the concepts, you should absolutely know, into manageable chapters.
At the end of this course, you will have learned the essential concepts, principles and clinical skills of Medical Surgical Nursing and how to apply that knowledge to practice. As you know the NCLEX is a knowledge application test for entry level nurses.
First, we will start with a review of concepts of Management of patient care, including principles of prioritization, delegation, patient safety and Infection Control.
Then, we will continue with Fundamentals of Nursing - ER Nursing, Fluids and Electrolytes, Acid Base Balance and Shock.
This course will also discuss the most frequently asked Medical Surgical Disorders, diagnostic tests, lab values and clinical skills with the corresponding nursing care.
Finally, you will learn how to apply this knowledge to NCLEX style questions.
This course is for you if:
- You went through an accelerated nursing program
- You have been away from nursing for some time
- You need a refresher course
- You need help preparing for the Exit or NCLEX exam
Management of Care
- Prioritization of patient care, Delegation, Leadership, Documentation, Ethical and Legal issues in Nursing, Patient Safety
Safety and Infection Control
- Patient Safety, Fire Safety, Chemical Safety, Ergonomics, Infection Control (Standard precautions, Droplet precautions, Airborne precautions, Contact precautions), Disaster Nursing
Fundamentals of Nursing & Cardiac Disorders
- Emergency Nursing, Fluids and Electrolytes, Acid Base Imbalance, Shock
- Cardiac Assessment, Cardiac Diagnostic Tests, EKG Basics, Dysrhythmias, Angina vs. MI, Heart Failure, Heart Surgery, Vascular Disorders, Hypertension, Cardiac Meds
- Respiratory Assessment, Respiratory Diagnostic Tests, Pneumonia, TB, COPD/Asthma, Chest Trauma, Chest Tubes, Tracheostomy, Mechanical Ventilation
- Gastrointestinal Assessment, Gastrointestinal Diagnostic Tests, GERD, Peptic Ulcers, Gastric Surgery, Diverticular Disease, Crohn’s vs. Ulcerative Colitis, Colostomy vs. Ileostomy, Enteral Feeding, Peritonitis, Intestinal Tubes, Appendicitis, Peritonitis, Intestinal Obstruction, Gastric Tubes, Hernias, Liver function and diagnostic tests, Hepatitis, Cirrhosis, Esophageal Varices, Cholelithiasis, Pancreatic Cancer
- Warning signs of Cancer, Guidelines for Early Cancer Detection, Oral Cancer, Lung Cancer, Laryngeal Cancer, Stomach Cancer, Hodgkin’s, Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Endometrial Cancer, Ovarian Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Oncological Emergencies, Radiation/ Chemo Therapy
- Endocrine Assessment, Addison’s vs. Cushing’s, Hypothyroidism vs. Hyperthyroidism, Hypoparathyroidism vs. Hyperparathyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus
- Renal Assessment, Renal Diagnostic Tests, Acute vs. Chronic Renal Failure, Peritoneal Dialysis vs. Hemodialysis, Urinary Tract Infection, Renal Calculi, Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy, Bladder Cancer/Ileal Conduit
Musculoskeletal & Connective Tissue Disorders
- Musculoskeletal System, Osteoporosis, Paget’s Disease, Sprains, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Fractures, Acute Compartment Syndrome, Fat Embolism Syndrome, Cast Care, Traction, Crutch Walking, Total Knee Replacement, Total Hip Replacement, Lupus, Gout, Rheumatoid Arthritis vs. Osteoarthritis, Lyme disease
- Cataracts, Glaucoma, Retinal Detachment, Macular Degeneration, Care of patient with visual impairment, Hearing Loss, Meniere’s Disease, Care of patient with hearing impairment
- Neurological Assessment, CVA/Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Increased Intracranial Pressure (IICP), Spinal Cord Injury, Autonomic Dysreflexia, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS), Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Myasthenia Gravis (MG), Bell’s Palsy, Parkinson’s Disease
- Pressure Ulcers, Burns, Herpes Zoster, Psoriasis, Latex Allergy
Get started now!
Anthony Pennington started working with the Feuer Nursing Review in 2013, specializing in Medical-Surgical Nursing. He obtained an ADN from Seminole State College, his BSN from the University of Central Florida, and an MBA/MSN from the University of Phoenix. Anthony has a DNP from The University of Alabama.
Anthony has worked in a variety of roles as an RN. He has worked as a bedside nurse in the Medical/Surgical and critical care disciplines. He has also worked as both a hospital and corporate educator. Anthony also worked as a travel nurse in New Orleans and New York City. Mr. Pennington has over 14 years’ of teaching experience, working at public and private institutions of higher education throughout Florida. Anthony is certified as a nurse educator by the National League for Nursing and is a member of Sigma Theta Tau International. He is currently the Dean/Program Director of a second-degree accelerated-baccalaureate nursing program in Florida.
Anthony believes a student has much to benefit from completing the Feuer Nursing Review NCLEX preparation course. The course is designed to emphasize the areas of nursing knowledge that are essential and can best prepare a student to be successful on the NCLEX. Reviewing this core content assists the student in assessing their current knowledge level and offers methods to help a student better understand the many complexities encountered by those taking the NCLEX and preparing for a career in nursing.
Frequently Asked Questions
"The Med/Surg instructor was fantastic! I learned so much from this class that it helped me pass the boards on the first try!!"
- M.F. (Former Student)
"Perfect way to study since I started a new job and I can't ask for time off and travel to take a class."
- Guerlyne D. (Former Student)
Feuer Nursing Review has over 40 years of NCLEX experience. Whether you are a first time test taker, repeat test taker, international nurse, or you have been away from nursing for several years, we will guide you to pass!
Call us 212-679-2300 or email [email protected]